Saturday, October 23, 2010

Beginning of our Trip to the Lower 48

When the doors closed, we settled in for the hour and a half flight to Anchorage. I was finally on the way to the Lower 48. The crescendo of activity leading up to the event had now passed and the wait began.

As the jet sped down the runway, I breathed a prayer for our safe flight, connecting once again with our Father. I imagined watching our flight taking off from our livingroom window. Front and then back wheels leaving the pavement of Kotzebue and flying directly to Anchorage. After watching so many Alaska flights taking off, I was finally on one.

Soon the fight attendants were serving drinks. Some had not had a drink in a longtime. Others might have made their last purchase from Kotzebue's package store. Closing my eyes, I dozed for most of the flight, waking only when the pressure in my ears increased significantly.

The sun had already set and darkness had followed when I realized that my boarding pass was only to Anchorage. Dazed and fighting off a seasonal cold, I told ticket counter worker that I was going to Anchorage, which meant my luggage would also be picked up in Anchorage. Ooops.

Leaving the security area, I rushed to the baggage claim to pick up my large suitcase and walked to the ticket counter to obtain the next boarding pass. With only twenty minutes before boarding, I checked in my luggage again. After paying the luggage fee, I joined others about to be herded through security. Wth the clock ticking, I rushed through security and made my way to the gate.

Rick’s flight from Fairbanks was running late. Still dazed, I went to the gate operator to let her know of his late flight. Alaska had already been informed and planned to hold the plane for a short time. After listening to the choices, I decided to risk it and wait for Rick. Stopping at Quizno’s for dinner and visiting with an engineer from Kotzebue, I awaited Rick’s arrival. When he texted that he was on the ground, I informed the gate keeper. She was pleased and soon Rick appeared in his business attire, ready to board the plane.

The flight from Anchorage to Seattle took more than three hours. Flying over Canada and the rest of the Great State of Alaska, the lights of Seattle beamed below. Seeing this civilizaion, I understood why the Lower 48 is called the Outside. Miles and miles of streetlights and building beams could be seen from above. Kotzebue has three streets that are paved. The remainder are gravel. There are no streetlights. There was only one more leg and we would be in Portland.

Our arrival was late and so we had less time to sit at the terminal. Hoirizon Air is located on Concourse C and shares the terminal with Alaska. Crowding into the small space, the the next terminal a flight for Eugene was scheduled to board soon after the Portland flight.

The thirty-five minute flight to Portland seemed to race by and we found ourselves on the ground at PDX. After nearly 12 hours of traveled, we arrived in Portland. 

On the ride to the Portland Sheratin, the shuttle bus driver told us of a young man who was bartending there. Rocky Brown had graduated from Reedsport High School ten years prior and had movde to this area a couple of years later. Some will remember Rocky as a star football player, whose head was so large Coach Akre had to find him a NFL football helmet to wear. After checking into our room and carrying up the luggage, we made our way over to the bar to catch up with Rocky and grab a bite to eat.

Rocky is another RHs graduate who appreciated growing up in Reedsport. Now with a young child, he wished he could return to his alma mater to raise his kids. Like many small towns, there aren't jobs to support this generation's return to their roots. Many times we had wished that those of Rocky’s generation could return to Reedsport and breathe new life into our town. Much of the work I did to restore vitality to that area was in hopes to bring them back. Someday hopefully they will have what it takes to bring those kids home.

Falling into bed at about 1:30am, Kotzebue seemed more like a dream than reality to me. This world felt more like home. After a long day of travel from airline to airline, I drifted off to sleep soon after climbing into bed. Our early departure time would arrive soon. Best to be ready for it.

Kotzebue seemed so far away. It would be ten days before our return. It was time to stretch out and do something totally different.

2 comments:

  1. "Kotzebue has three streets that are paved. The remainder are gravel. There are no streetlights."

    Are you sure you live here? There are lots and lots of street lights in Kotzebue.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're right, Cathy. Good catch. I meant that there are no stoplights. Along Shore Avenue are those new beautiful streetlights with a curve reminiscent of a curved whale bone. Thanks for your comment.

    ReplyDelete